Saturday, February 4, 2012

Iowa State Star Basketball Player has Anxiety Disorder

I admit it, I'm an Iowa State fan. I graduated from UNI and Drake, so I like them too. And yes, I even like the Iowa Hawkeyes. But nothing gets me more excited than Iowa State basketball. And when they play well like they are doing this year, I enjoy it even more. This year, they are led by a transfer named Royce White. His story is very interesting and is a story of redemption, struggles, and overcoming many obstacles. And from all reports from fans, Iowa State staff, and family, he has been nothing but a role model since he has been at Iowa State. And as he has become more famous across the country due to his performances, the national media have dug into his backstory and learned another interesting piece about Royce: He has an anxiety disorder. This explains why such a good player can't seem to even hit the rim when he shoots free throws!! Turns out, he has had this disorder since he was young and he has to work and focus everyday just to make it through the day. As a person who struggles with anxiety myself, I can relate to his story to some extent. But I have also worked with students and known adults who have to battle their own anxiety disorder every day as well. I found this story on ESPN to be very interesting and very inspiring. I plan on sharing it with students this next week in hopes that they might be inspired as well. I hope he continues to succeed and bring more attention to his disorder and how anyone can achieve, no matter what obstacles stand in their way. Good luck, Royce!



No comments: