Monday, January 16, 2012

6th Grade JA Biztown Parent Volunteer Opportunities!


Parents/Guardians, listen up! We are hitting the key moments of our JA Biztown curriculum and your help and support will be even more important than before. In the next 2-3 weeks, students will be reviewing "Want Ads", applying for jobs, interviewing for jobs, and getting their JA Biztown job. Then, throughout February and March, students will be working with their business partners creating their business plan and getting ready to actually perform their job for a day at JA Biztown. Finally, after Spring Break, students will go to JA Biztown on either March 29th or 30th (1/2 class goes one day, 1/2 the class goes on the other).

So, where do parents/guardians fit in? Well, you fit in everywhere as I want you to ask the students every week about JA Biztown, what they learned, what they are doing, and let them figure ways of how this relates to your world and your job and your finances. But I also need many parent volunteers for the 2 big events: Mock interview day and JA Biztown field trip.

First, I have about 12 spots left for parents or guardians to volunteer to help interview 6th graders. Over the course of 3 days (27th, 30th, 31st of January), we will interview every 6th grader in our building for 6-8 minutes. But this means I need lots of interviewers. If you volunteer, you will not interview your child (I would not do that to them...or you!!) but would interview 5 or 6 other students. You will score them on a scoring guide that I give you. When I combine their interview score with their job application score, students will be given one of their top 3 job choices based on their total score. If interested in helping with this process, please email me as soon as possible so that I can get my schedule/list set up this week. Interviews start end of next week!

Next, I need 14 parent volunteers for each day of the JA Biztown field trip. As a volunteer, you would go on the same day as your child, but would not work in the same business. JA Biztown has a policy against that, but trust me, that is a good thing. Many parents tell me they actually like not being in the same business with their child. The whole experience is suppose to create the feeling of being an adult and being independent. Doesn't work too well with their parent at their side all day. But there will be time to shop, eat, and hang out with your child during the day...should you or they choose. Your day would be from 8:30-2:30 with us and does require about a 90-minute training in Mid-March. This training is really important as it will help your business and your "kid workers" go much smoother on the field trip day. This field trip is very interactive and very fun as the kids run a miniature town for the day. I frequently have parents request to come back with their other children and sometimes come back even though they don't have a child going. Even my parents want to help out! So, if interested in this opportunity, email me in the next 2 weeks and I will mark you down. If I get too many, I will put extras on a waiting list. Every year I have a parent or two that has to cancel at some point and it is always nice to pull from my waiting list. And sometimes I take an extra parent as a floater. So please email me if interested. Thank you!


And the 2nd semester will begin tomorrow which means we are 1/2 done!! And we have 1/2 left. I prefer to think the glass is 1/2 full!!

No comments: