Saturday, January 22, 2011

Common Sense Media: A Great Site for Parents and Kids!

I found out about this site reading through some blogs I follow and had to check it out. Normally, I do a quick check on a site and if it is worth it, I will post it to my own blog. With this site, I spent a considerable amount of time just researching different games and shows to see the reviews. I was very impressed. As a parent of 3 young children who will be growing up in a quickly changing world of not just technology, but social norms, morals, and behaviors, I was glad to see such a collection of unbiased reviews about everything my eyes and my kids' eyes see in a given day. Whether it be a game, a movie, a TV show, or a book, I can figure out what kids are saying about it, what parents think about it, and what this website says about it. The website breaks down each item into categories like "educational value", "violence", "sexuality", and "alcohol/drugs", plus several other categories. Very quickly, you can learn about the questionable or mature items (or hopefully lack of items) in a product your child might want to buy or watch. Suggested ages are given in both the kids point of view and the parents point of view. Guess what? The parents usually feel the ages need to be older before viewing these things while the kids say younger, but not always. The kids' reviews on this site are even pretty thoughtful and understanding.

So, before you just let your kid watch something, play something, or read something because the box says they can or because they say all their friends can, do some research. Start with this site as I found very little not reviewed by this site (even the newest show Skins that parent groups nationwide are protesting against has been reviewed and talked about on this site!)


No comments: