Friday, August 13, 2010

Angry People Respond to Rewards more than Threats

I learned of a new study from Larry Ferlazzo's blog that I found kind of interesting. I plan to see if any follow-up research is done and what those findings are. The results of this study affect the way we parent (including me!) and teach (again, including me!). The study shows that when anger is expressed as an emotion, the person showing anger may actually respond better to rewards more than threats or negative consequences. Parents and teachers tend to move to consequences and threats when emotions get heated and a child gets angry. Yet this study shows that maybe some reminders about the rewards and positive results of good behavior and less anger can actually motivate the child to behave again and let go of their anger. Hmmm.....interesting research and definitely research that makes me think more about the way I parent or teach. Any thoughts?

No comments: