Monday, September 3, 2012

Tony Danza's New Book About His Year of Teaching: Has Advice for Parents


   If you are like me, you grew up watching "Who's The Boss" starring an up and coming actor named Tony Danza. What a great show! Over time, Tony Danza got lost in the new up-and-coming stars, but the name is still familiar. His name resurfaced a year or two ago with his experiment of being a teacher for a year. A real teacher in a real school. It became quite a reality show and one that I found interesting to watch. Now, he has a book coming out about his year of teaching and has all sorts of advice for all sorts of people. In this USA Today article, he has some advice for parents. As a parent of four kids myself, I agree with his advice. And as a counselor, I LOVE HIS ADVICE! Life has become very busy and very packed over the last two to three decades and we have lost some of this parental involvement. Our kids have cell phones now, so we all feel we can drop them off at their events and have them call us when they are done. That is our form of involvement. And we have email where we can just email the adults in our kids' lives and that saves time. But this article made me take a step back and realize that involvement in my own kids' lives means I really need to be involved, not just when it is convenient for me. Anyway, on a day when most of us have a day off from our busy world and are likely spending it with family, today might be the day to re-commit to getting involved in our childrens' lives. Happy Labor Day to everyone!

Read a great Tony Danza article here and note that his book comes out on Sept. 11th, 2012.

No comments: